January 07-09, 2019
In recent developments in molecular biology, such as high throughput array technology or sequencing technology, are leading to an exponential increase in the volume of data that is being generated. Bioinformatics aims to get an insight into biological functioning and the organization of a living system riding on this data. The enormous data generated needs robust statistical handling, which in turn requires a sound computational statistics tool and environment. The open source software for Bioinformatics such as Galaxy, COPIA and EMBOSS etc though provides some amount of statistical help, these methods are not enough to address the evolving research questions in Bioinformatics. Therefore, this workshop aims to train the Bioinformatics Researchers in Statistical Methods using the open source software R and Python. R and Python provide just that kind of environment. It is a free tool with a large community and leverages the analysis of data via its huge package libraries that support various analysis operations.
- To have a strong understanding of fundamental concepts of the statistics that underlie bioinformatics;
- To understand the formulation of models for genomic data;
- To be able to apply statistical techniques to analyse RNA sequence data and interpret the results generated;
- To be familiar with advanced statistical methods dealing with metagenomics, epigenetics and epigenomics data and software for solving complex problems in bioinformatics.
- To be able to critique the articles that are published in Bioinformatics.
The course will be
held at the Biostatistics Resource and Training Center (BRTC),
Dept. of Biostatistics, (Adjacent to College Chapel),
Christian Medical College,
Bagayam, Vellore 632 002.
Course Fee: Rs. 8,000/- (Inclusive of 18% GST)
Course Fee should be paid in full by January 02, 2019.
Payment can be made by Demand Draft in favor of “Christian Medical College Vellore Association Account”, payable at Vellore.
Participants will have to bear their own expenses for travel, boarding and lodging. The Organizers will provide Lunch and Snacks. However, the organizers may arrange basic accommodation with A/C facility in the college campus on request.
The number of participants for each course is limited to 35 and admission will be purely on first come first served basis.
Note: After Registration, if cancelled, the course fee will not be refunded